Saturday, January 3, 2009

Fasting & Lessons Learned


A friend of mine and her husband had been going through some tough times and our bible study had been in deep prayer for them for several months.

Well I thought that I would fast as an offering to our Lord. So my fast began and I gave up the hardest thing ever or at least that is what I thought. I gave up chocolate and diet coke. I really wanted it to be a challenge something to bring me to prayer and worship and believe me it did. I gave it up October 10 one day before my birthday because it was so heavy on my heart and negotiating with God wasn’t an option. Could you imagine me trying tell God that I hear what he wants me to do but if he could just wait one more day… Ahhh no not going to happen.

When I first set out to fast I was only going to do for 40 days but at the end of 40 days I went back in prayer and God put it heavy on my heart again to keep going so I proceeded to do it until the day after Thanksgiving. I was like are you sure lord? Like he didn’t know what he was doing so I said okay. I gave up chocolate for over 60 days ( I know sounds real silly but I think I love chocolate way to much). Like I said in the begging I really thought I was doing this for someone else but it really taught me so much more and blessed me so much.

Like most people I am an emotional eater and we have gone through so much tragedy in the last few years. My husband and I had suffered some major losses, from losing my Mother, Father, two dear friends who stepped up as parental units since the passing of my parents and our business and our home and since the passing of my father my relationship with my siblings no longer exist.


Since then, I have gained some weight and have been on diets and off diets but I really thought I had no will power. However, during this time of fasting I realized that I do have lots of will power. Anything is possible through God, and for the first time in a long time do I feel that I can conquer this issue in my life and just pray and go to God every step of the way. I am going blog my journey (that I will keep private) and with the Grace of God this will be an amazing journey. I have also learned that yes those were great losses in my life but through all of these things, I came to Christ, I rededicated my life to Christ and My Father gave his life to Christ. So through all the bad he gave us so much good.

Funny how we are blessed when we think we are really doing something for someone else.

Exodus 15:2 (New American Standard Bible)

2"(A)The LORD is my strength and song,
And He has become my salvation;
(B)This is my God, and I will praise Him;
(C)My father's God, and I will (D)extol Him

1 comment:

  1. WOW! I just LOVE it so much when GOD works on US when we don't even realize it =) I am so BLESSED to KNOW that GOD is at work in your life!!!

    ReplyDelete